The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) announced earlier this week, that the new limited edition 10-Piso commemorative circulation coin for the 150th birth anniversary of Philippine hero Miguel Malvar will be available starting on 22 December 2015, at BSP offices and branches.
“Miguel Malvar was the last Filipino general to surrender to the Americans during the revolution. After the capture of Emilio Aguinaldo and the surrender of other Filipino generals, Miguel Malvar assumed full command of the revolutionary forces. General Malvar’s valor, resilience and patriotism serve as inspiration to our fellow Filipinos.” – BSP
Obverse side show the:
• portrait of Miguel Malvar
• markings “10 Piso”, “REPUBLIKA NG PILIPINAS” and “Heneral Miguel Malvar”.
The reverse side has the:
• seal of the BSP
• markings “150 taon” and “1865-2015”
• “Monument of Malvar”
According to the central bank, 10 million pieces of the this commemorative coin which has the same size (26.5-millimeters in diameter) and weight (8.70 grams) as the ten-piso coin currently in circulation. It is also the 4th bi-metallic coin released in the country.
BSP previous commemorative coin releases were:
• the 150th year of National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal in 2011
• the 150th year of Philippine Hero Andres Bonifacio in 2013
• the 150th year of Philippine Hero Apolinario Mabini in 2014
• the 70th Anniversary of the Leyte Gulf Landing in 2014
• the Bagong Bayani commemorative coins in honor of overseas Filipinos in 2014
• the state pastoral visit of Pope Francis in 2015